Thursday, July 8, 2010

Future jack-o-lantern

While the pumpkin isn't growing as fast as my two images would indicate, it's still cruising along. The first posts from this blog show the leaves growing at a snails pace and was quite frankly pretty boring to write about...thus the "not-so-gardening" posts about birds and such.  In any case, these pictures were not taken in 2 consecutive days, but the growth is still faster than the leaves.  I'd love to be able to turn this pumpkin right-side up when it gets bigger so it doesn't get that ugly mottled look from lying on the ground, but in the past when I've tried this I ended up damaging the vine. So I'll leave it as it lies. I have also read that leaving the vine loose around the pumpkin will leave less stress on the vine reducing the chance of it splitting. I have no problem ripping up the weeds that the vine has chosen as it's grabbing points.

6 comments:

  1. Wow- impressive growth - are you sure that pumpkin hasn't been exposed to gamma radiation like the Hulk ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you put the pumpkin in a mold so it can have mickey mouse ears like the ones in Disney world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder when the pumpkins change color ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the new pumpkin pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Linus is not in your backyard this Halloween

    ReplyDelete